You can listen online or download our Sunday Podcasts below.
Our very own Ms. Moser shares about her summer internship with Wycliffe Bible Translators in Southeast Asia. (www.wycliffe.org).
Have you heard someone say:
“The Bible we have today is a copy of a copy of a mistranslation of a copy of a copy of something that was an account by someone who wasn’t an eyewitness to the events.”
You may believe this or have heard this argument used to weaken or invalidate any defense of the historicity, modern relevance or authority of the Bible.
If you’ve ever wondered or worried about these issues?:
-The 400,000 textual discrepancies in the bible manuscripts.
-The fact that we don’t have any original letters, only copies.
-Were the gospels just wishful later era reinterpretations of who Jesus was and what he did?
-What about the alleged and/or obvious contradictions?
-Is the bible really inerrant (without error)?
Arguments Against the Reliability of the Gospels
1. We don’t Have the Original Gospel Manuscripts.
“The copies of copies of copies argument”
2. The Gospels are later-era reinterpretations of who Jesus was and what he did.
“The myths & legends argument”
…to be continued next week
John said to Jesus, “Master, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn’t in our group.”But Jesus said, “Don’t stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you.” -Luke 9:49-56
1. Understanding the Differences between Pluralism & Tolerance:
2. Understand the differences between Conviction, Conscience, Compromise & Custom
3. Defining biblical boundaries without compromising biblical values.
4. Upholding Biblical truth in the middle of Cultural Change
Why have this conversation?
-People are killing one another.
-People are angry and scared.
-People are hurting instead of helping one another with poor dialogue and debate skills.
-Hard Left-Progressivism & Hard-Right Conservatism are the major cultural influencers.
-Christianity is losing it’s voice of privilege and authority in the culture.
-The authority of truth is being debated in churches and culture.
International Missions Sunday: Our partners in mission from Thailand discuss their life, work and heart for gospel work among Buddhists. Special highlight: Thanita shares about her conversion from Buddhism to Christ.
1. Work With God: Matthew 11:28-30
2. Work Within the Boundaries God has Set: Genesis 2:7-8,15-17
3. Work With Your Hands: Thessalonians 4:9-12
4. Work Quietly: 2nd Thessalonians 3:11-12
5. Keep Working: Psalms 92:10-14
-God saved and overcame the world…go pour yourself a glass of wine.
-It’s not all on your shoulders…go ahead and sleep in.
-Grace doesn’t demand sweat…take the day off.
-Stop fighting against the very boundaries God placed for your sanity.
-The miracle is in the mundane
-Find your garden
-Love builds bridges
-Know the difference between God’s business and yours
-Find something meaningful to put your hands to in life
-Stay out of stuff that really doesn’t involve you.
-Get a job, it will help you focus on what is important.
-Embrace the freedom of silence
-Your dusk can be better than your dawn.
1. Moving from dry to drinking (John 4:7)
2. Moving from receiving to possessing: (4:6-7,11-15)
3. Moving from tools to demonstration (4:11)
4. Moving from information/theology about God to encountering God. (4:19,24-25)
5. Moving from temple/priests/place/procedure to….presence/anyone/anywhere (4:21-23)
6. Supernatural seasons (4:36)
The woman at the well, the Spirit & Revival
1. Mission Shaped Disciples understand the priority of person over place
2. Mission Shaped Disciples understand the balance between Spirit & Truth
3. Mission Shaped Disciples challenge but never condemn
4. Mission Shaped Disciples are led not driven
5. Mission Shaped Disciples are moved by a ‘now not later’ mindset
6. Mission Shaped Disciples live with: Prophetic Expectation
7. Mission Shaped Disciples understand the importance of time
Part one of a two part message on the vision and values of mission shaped disciples. This is a refresher course on who we are, where we are going and why we do what we do at Jacob’s Well Church. Essential content for those coming from traditional churches to understand the important distinctives between an attraction vs missional church.